Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Makeup : a bird's eye view in a global world...

My photo-blogger friend, Sylvia, from Tacoma, Washington, has so come "up" in the world, that she now gets amazing mountain views , and visits from worldly wise folks, on her window sill. Sometimes they even preen, pose, and maybe even crib. For a photo. Which she recently posted here.

I wasn't around there , but I do think this is what this bird said....


(photo by Sylvia Kirkwood)

Feeling a bit dull
in my old age,
I flew over
Paris,
Milan,
Cologne,
and even London
searching
for that perfect makeup....

And
I finally found it
in Mumbai,
where
they have
fairness creams.

In a moment
of
narcissistic madness,
I peered into
the Sky Mirror
and
slathered it on,
only
to have it
washed off
in a
thundering
Mumbai monsoon cloudburst.

Looks like nothing black
is turning fair,
and
everything
is supposed to be fair
only
if you are flying high.

As for me,
my full throated shouts
about the creme,
have rendered
my neck
arteries and veins visible,
and the
only thing
that has changed , are my eyebrows.

Black to white ?
Gosh,
the weight of people's expectations !
I can't even raise my eyebrows......

1 comment:

  1. I love it as always -- for some reason I couldn't leave a comment earlier???? And by the way, this guy was back yesterday and I read him your poem! He loved it! Hope you have a beautiful weekend, my friend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete